Re: pgsql: Create a GUC parametertemp_tablespacesthat allows selection of

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Create a GUC parametertemp_tablespacesthat allows selection of
Date: 2007-06-04 19:12:44
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > One of the main reasons for the implementation was to allow larger
> > queries to work faster by utilising multiple temp tablespaces for the
> > same query.
>
> > The original ideal implementation was to use round-robin/cyclic
> > selection, which allows much better usage in the above case.
>
> Really? What if multiple backends are all hitting the same tablespaces
> in the same order? A random selection seems much less likely to risk
> having any self-synchronizing behavior.

I'd like a single backend to never reuse a temp tablespace that is
actively being used so that large queries won't randomly conflict with
themselves. That's pretty certain to draw complaints, IMHO.

We can do this two ways
- cycle thru temp tablespaces, as originally suggested (not by me...)
- pick a random tablespace **other than ones already in active use**

--
Simon Riggs