Re: Patch queue concern

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch queue concern
Date: 2007-03-28 16:37:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 21:15 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Right now, all the patches I think are ready for review are in the patch
> queue:
>
> http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches
>
> However, with feature freeze coming on Sunday, I am worried because
> there are a significant number of patches that have are not ready for
> review because they have not been completed by their authors.

It's probably a good idea to have a queue of those too, to allow others
to finish them if the original author hasn't/can't/won't. I'm not sure
which ones you mean.

I have at least 2 patches that depend upon other patches in the queue.
I'm not sure how to go about completing them, so any advice or guidance
would be welcome:

- Scan_recycle_buffers depends upon synchronised scans because we agreed
we would use the same parameter (if any exists) to govern the behaviour.
Should I write a patch-on-patch? What happens if the patch changes after
review? ISTM I should just wait until the first one is applied and then
I can make the necessary changes in about an hour. The patch's main
functionality is complete.

- Fast cluster conflicts with Heikki's cluster patch, so one of them
will need fixing depending which is applied first. I don't mind if its
me going second. I also have proposed an additional mode on VACUUM FULL
that builds upon Heikki's patch - should I submit that also, even though
it cannot be applied?

--
Simon Riggs