Re: could not open relation:no such file or directory

From: Ragnar <gnari(at)hive(dot)is>
To: karthik nandagiri <karthik(dot)nandagiri(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not open relation:no such file or directory
Date: 2006-12-30 16:52:46
Lists: pgsql-general

[
you should reply to the list, not only to single posters.
this way, more people see your reply,and can help you.
Putting the list back, and quoting whole message.
]
On lau, 2006-12-30 at 15:17 +0530, karthik nandagiri wrote:
> hello ragnar,
>
> i am using postgresql version8.0. it is installed on debean linux 2.2
> OS.
>
> we have intalled dspace on that system.and its a live website running
> since 2003.
>
> we have nearly 2055 fulltext records loaded on this server.
>
> since 4 months the application was not running properly so we made a
> research of the problem .
>
> then we came to know that a table named item2bundle is not getting
> opened.
>
> the Query i executed was
>
> dspace=# select * from item2bundle;
>
> after pressing enteri get the below error
>
> Error:Could not open relation "item2bundle". no such file or
> directory
>
> i am not able to retrieve records from table.

it looks to me that you have experienced corruption, and some files may
be missing in the data directory.

you can check it yourself:
your data directory might be something like
/var/lib/postgresql/8.0/main/
this will contain a subdirectory base/
which will contain a directory for each of our databases
to get the directory name for database "dspace", do:
select oid from pg_database where datname='dspace';
this database directory will contain several files. to
find the file(s) making upa particular table do:
select relfilenode from pg_class
where relname='item2bundle';

hope this helps you investigate this.

gnari