Re: How to get higher tps

From: Mark Lewis <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
To: Marty Jia <mjia(at)ask(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to get higher tps
Date: 2006-08-21 21:47:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

Not much we can do unless you give us more info about how you're testing
(pgbench setup), and what you've done with the parameters you listed
below. It would also be useful if you told us more about your drive
array than just "3Par". We need to know the RAID level, number/speed of
disks, whether it's got a battery-backed write cache that's turned on,
things like this.

Like Jeff just said, it's likely that you're waiting for rotational
latency, which would limit your maximum tps for sequential jobs based on
the number of disks in your array. For example, a 2-disk array of 10k
RPM disks is going to max out somewhere around 333 tps. (2*10000/60).

-- Mark Lewis