Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joel Jacobson" <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs
Date: 2021-01-22 15:42:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Joel Jacobson" <joel(at)compiler(dot)org> writes:
> I ran this query (on a patched database) to see if there are still any catalog tables without primary keys:
> pg_depend
> pg_shdepend

Yeah, this is noted in the patch's own regression tests.

> Wouldn't it be possible to add primary keys to these two as well?

Neither of the existing indexes is suitable, not being unique.

We could imagine adding a unique index across the whole column set,
but that would be an awfully large price to pay for neatnik-ism.
Also, at least for pg_depend (less sure about pg_shdepend), some code
cleanup would be required, because I don't think that we try very
hard to avoid making duplicate dependency entries. On the whole
I feel this'd be counterproductive.