Re: Compilations failing

From: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Andreas Gidlund" <vaxis(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compilations failing
Date: 2006-09-27 03:23:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, September 27, 2006 05:41, Andreas Gidlund wrote:
> I have a problem when compiling libpqxx with the tools from VS.NET 2005
> for use on Windows XP.

But the actual errors you run into happen while compiling postgres itself,
right? You may want to come over the the libpqxx-general mailing list
(see http://pqxx.org/ ) for help with libpqxx-specific problems.

> However, after downloading libpqxx, as I wanted to compile and use it, I
> ran
> into problems. First, after having creating the common file in the win32
> folder and when I was to change the paths inside, all three paths did not
> comply with my installation. First for the path to the source code, I
> installed by using the msi distribution and hence did not have the source
> at hand.

From what I've heard, the Windows installer doesn't install the header
files for libpq, and those are needed for compiling libpqxx (or any other
program that uses libpq). That's why you need the postgres source
archive. The paths are a painful obstacle; there just don't seem to be
any real standards for these things on Windows.

I guess there really ought to be a separate "development package" of
postgres for Windows like there is for other systems. The problem seems
to be that Windows lacks the necessary compiler standards--a development
package would have to be compiler-specific. :-(

You should be able to get away with compiling just the Release version of
libpqxx if that's what you want, using the Release version of libpq, and
just "stealing" the libpq headers from the postgres source tree. But
chances are that you'll want to debug your software sometimes, if only
during development, so it's better to have both Debug and Release versions
of everything available.

Jeroen