Re: 'Index Full Scan' for Index Scan without Index Cond

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 'Index Full Scan' for Index Scan without Index Cond
Date: 2006-06-06 11:19:54
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 18:51 +0900, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> Indexes are used for two purpose, for selection and for ordering, but EXPLAIN
> shows them as 'Index Scan' in both cases. This patch changes EXPLAIN output of
> Index Scan without Index Cond to 'Index Full Scan'.

I like it.

Will that test always hold true? Even if it is currently true, perhaps
there should be a code comment to say we rely on that behaviour later to
make EXPLAIN function correctly? We definitely need some code comments
somewhere.

Perhaps we should call it 'Ordered Scan' so that it is completely
different from 'Index Scan'?

--
Simon Riggs