Re: send psql output to file and setting pager=more

From: kmh496 <kmh496(at)kornet(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: send psql output to file and setting pager=more
Date: 2006-05-20 07:21:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

> > is it possible in psql to ......
> > (1) i want it to stop after a screen of information.
> > i.e. like mysql's "[mysqld] pager=more .." my.cnf directive.
> >
> Under Linux you can quite easily just run the command
> non-interactively and actually paginate via less or more;
>
> Alternatively, under psql (man psql for details :P) you can
> use \pset pager less.
I put export PAGER=more
into my .bashrc and
executed the command you stated, as well as
\pset pager always
\pset pager more
but they don't stop after a page of input, so they seem to say they are
doing the correct thing but really aren't.

> > (2) also, i want to have the results show up on the screen and be
tee-ed
> > to a file. Oracle can do this, i don't remember if it's "set server
> > output on" or something like that?

I learned the postgres equivalent is
\o filename
but this only directs STDOUT not STDERR
but, i want to capture the error messages into a file so I can then edit
that side by side with the other script which is generating the
messages. Is it possible for \o to also capture output from both STDERR
and STDOUT?