Re: Cosmetic change in catalog/index.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cosmetic change in catalog/index.c
Date: 2003-02-14 21:59:33
Lists: pgsql-patches

greg(at)turnstep(dot)com writes:
> My argument for initial caps is this: the error codes represent complete
> sentences, and look better capitalized. The only exception should be
> when an internal lowercase function name begins the error message, such
> as:
> elog(ERROR, "index_drop: cache lookup failed for index %u",

I would like to migrate *away* from mentioning internal function names
in the error message text at all. Ideally, information about the
location where the error was reported would be available separately from
the primary message text (I would like elog() to be a macro that can
invoke __FILE__ and __LINE__ behind the scenes). See past discussions
about revising the error message protocol so that multiple independent
fields can be delivered.