Re: vacuum and routine maintenance docs

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum and routine maintenance docs
Date: 2006-01-18 23:13:28
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 16:19, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 04:59:29PM -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking more of a very brief mention of what the FSM
> > is, with a link to the other part of the docs that discuss it. And then
> > having a link (possibly in both places) or two to more in depth articles
> > on fsm and fsm tuning.
>
> Got the links...
> http://www.pervasive-postgres.com/lp/newsletters/2005/Insights_opensource_Dec.asp#2
> is general info about MVCC and why you need to vacuum.
> http://www.pervasive-postgres.com/lp/newsletters/2005/Insights_opensource_Nov.asp#3
> is all about the FSM (yeah, I kinda put the horse before the cart...)
>
> I'm working on finding out if the community can use that text verbatim
> without attribution, but if nothing else it might provide you with some
> ideas.

Well, I'm kind of tempted to rewrite the whole section. I'd like to
come up with some objectives of what we're trying to cover there, and
basically start over with all the information that's there plus the
other stuff on fsm and mvcc as it applies to vacuum, or link to it as
needed.

To me, the docs feel kind of like they've evolved over time, so the
ordering and general layout feel klunky. No slam on the folks who wrote
them to start with, or updated them. Just makes my tech docs training
come out.

Thanks for the links!