Re: Making pgxs builds work with a relocated installation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Making pgxs builds work with a relocated installation
Date: 2005-09-27 14:27:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Am Dienstag, 27. September 2005 02:12 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> Not all of the path variables set up in Makefile.global are currently
>> available from pg_config; the missing ones are
>>
>> prefix
>> exec_prefix
>> sbindir
>> mandir
>> localedir
>> libexecdir
>> datadir
>> sysconfdir
>> pkgincludedir
>> docdir
>>
>> The first three of these don't seem to be directly referenced anywhere
>> in the Makefiles, so I propose just removing them from Makefile.global.

> I see
>
> prefix := /usr/local/pgsql
> exec_prefix := ${prefix}
>
> bindir := ${exec_prefix}/bin
> sbindir := ${exec_prefix}/sbin
>
> in the default configuration, so we need to keep the first two at least. We
> don't need to expose them through pgxs, though.

I stand corrected on those.

>> The other ones will need to be added to pg_config's repertoire, unless
>> someone can make a pretty good case that no pgxs-using module would ever
>> need to install into that directory.

> pgxs only needs to expose the currently exposed variables plus sysconfdir, as
> previously discussed. Unless someone can make a case that they need to
> access the other directories.

pgxs.mk itself requires access to datadir and docdir, so I don't
see how you can maintain that those aren't necessary. The only reason
it doesn't also reference mandir and localedir is that none of our
current contrib modules have any man pages or locale support, but that
hardly seems far-fetched as a requirement for external modules. Also,
pkgincludedir *must* be supported else we cannot set up the -I options
for includedir_server and includedir_internal.

On second look, libexecdir isn't used anywhere, so we might as well just
remove it entirely. But all the others seem necessary to me.