what is the smallest working page size for postgresql

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: what is the smallest working page size for postgresql
Date: 2005-12-22 23:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

Could anybody tell me what is the smallest working page size for
postgresql ?

I have a table where access is highly random over huge table getting
usually only one small tuple from each page. One way to get more
performance could be using smaller page size, so the per-tuple read
overhead would be smaller.

Would 4k pages work ? what about 2k and 1k ? 512bytes ?

What would it take, to make only heap pages small and keep index pages
larger ? Probably at least per-tablespace or per-pagesize split shared
buffer space and changes in caching algorithms ?

Has anyone tested if 8k is big enough to trigger (in my case
unneccesary) read-ahead on disks/controllers/devices/filesystem ?

Hannu