Re: Advice on MyXactMade* flags, MyLastRecPtr, pendingDeletes and lazy XID assignment

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Postgresql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Advice on MyXactMade* flags, MyLastRecPtr, pendingDeletes and lazy XID assignment
Date: 2007-08-31 01:05:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> -1 to second: If there are any temporary deleted files then it is
> because we've done a large sort, hash join etc, so avoiding the sync
> makes no difference to the overall response time.

I think you're confused, actually: this is not about temporary sort
files, it's about dropping temp relations. The scenario for this to
happen in ABORT is a rollback of a transaction that made a temp table.

Whether that's common enough to be worth special optimization, I'm
not sure. Your point that the transaction may have been heavyweight
enough that it'd hardly matter is still on-target, you just got there
by the wrong reasoning ;-)