Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From: Tom Copeland <tom(at)infoether(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-08-11 03:02:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 22:20 -0400, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> Yes. It's pretty easy to see current and previous years. Try this. Go
> to the following URL:
>
> http://data.oreilly.com/tools/search
>
> I believe you can hit it from outside our firewall.

Fascinating stuff, thanks again!

> Ruby presents an excellent example of my point about "the past" that I
> made in my earlier note, that Bookscan's past results don't
> necessarily indicate the future. For years there were just two Ruby
> books on the market (at least that made it to the Bookscan list): ours
> and one by Sams. Sales were dismal, so of course we didn't want any
> more books like that, right? Well, we were so wrong. Along came
> Pragmatic, they pub'd a book on Ruby in October of last year, and they
> completely blew us out of the water. I'm rather hoping something like
> that happens with the book Josh is revising for us now.

Amazing that Ruby on Rails is only a year old. Ruby + Rails +
PostgreSQL is a great combination, and it's very easy to get started
with since there's a pure Ruby driver (*) for PostgreSQL. I'm working
on a thingy for work right now that uses that combination... good times.

Yours,

Tom

(*) postgres-pr at http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-dbi/