Unison Protein Database is now OpenSource

From: Reece Hart <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
To: SF PostgreSQL <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unison Protein Database is now OpenSource
Date: 2005-07-20 16:54:15
Lists: sfpug

All-

Some of you may remember that I spoke at OSCON '04 about a pet project
of mine called Unison which stores protein sequences and a myriad of
experimental data and precomputed predictions. The goal is to facilitate
the discovery of pharmaceutical "targets" (the entities which cause
disease and on which drugs act) by representing a lot of the data which
are used to initially identify targets and formulating queries as SQL.

I'm happy to announce that Genentech's legal department has given me
permission to Open Source everything -- schema, server side code,
command line tools, API, web interface, and a large body of
non-proprietary precomputed data. It's all on SourceForge and I've got a
demo site running out of my basement.

If you're interested, please see http://unison-db.sourceforge.net/ .

For the moment, unison-db.org:5432 is open, but I'll reevaluate the
wisdom of this if needed.

I'm aware of some issues, but please email me if you find any
misfeatures or bugs.

Cheers,
Reece

--
Reece Hart, Ph.D. rkh(at)gene(dot)com, http://www.gene.com/
Genentech, Inc. 650-225-6133 (voice), -5389 (fax)