Re: To Postgres or not

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Ted Slate <tslateone(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: To Postgres or not
Date: 2005-07-13 13:53:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Am Dienstag, den 12.07.2005, 17:16 +0000 schrieb Ted Slate:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I considering moving a product to Solaris/Linux and trying to find a good
> DB. Oracle is out due to cost so as far as i know the only reasonable
> alternatives are Postgres or Codebase or MySQL. Does anyone here have any
> experience using Codebase or MySql? If I stick with a true RDBMS then
> Codebase is out. So that leaves Postgres and MySQL. I'm very used to all
> the comforts of Oracle so I think Postgres stacks up better but maybe some
> veterans could shed some light.
>
> In other words, is Postgres really that much better than MySQL and/or the
> other way around?
>
> Also, in my searches I ran across an company called EnterpriseDB and another
> like it. Basically they offer Postgres support. So I'm a little concerned
> that I'm just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

There is no "on size fits all" when it comes to databases.
You write a list of things you really need and then go and compare
with whats on the market. Every other decision path will just go
religous.

Otoh, you can use this little list if its just some special
features you are looking for:

http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html