Re: ODBC Compatibility with AMD64

From: Kelly Burkhart <kelly(at)tradebotsystems(dot)com>
To: Steve Poe <spoe(at)sfnet(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Compatibility with AMD64
Date: 2005-06-08 12:38:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 19:02, Steve Poe wrote:
> OS: Centos 4 for AMD64 (RHEL 4)
> PostgreSQL version: 7.4.2
> PostgreSQL ODBC postgresql-odbc-7.3.8.rpm
>
> My client is migrating to an AMD64 sever using Postgresql 7.4.2 where
> the proprietary application accesses through ODBC. Under x86 platform,
> this all works find, but under AMD64, we get segment faults during
> connection.
>
> I am assuming their is an issue with the ODBC driver on this platform
> because everything else works find on x86 and the database is fine
> under a native connection.
>
> Is there a patch for the ODBC driver to work with a 7.4.x database
> using Linux on the AMD64 platform?

I'm using psqlodbc-08.00.101 with two patches applied:

<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2005-03/msg00126.php>
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2005-03/msg00038.php>

Neither of these patches fix a problem which would cause a crash.

Long ago I submitted a patch to unixODBC which fixed a
freeing-the-same-memory-twice bug. This caused a crash when
disconnecting from the database in 64-bit, but not in 32-bit. This was
in unixODBC-2.2.8; recent unixODBC should not have this problem.

-K