Re: Very slow bytea extraction

From: "msmbarabino(at)virgilio(dot)it" <msmbarabino(at)virgilio(dot)it>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Very slow bytea extraction
Date: 2007-03-22 20:48:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>Well, that eliminates the theory that you've got a lot of dead
tuples
>slowing it down. I come back to the conclusion that it's
probably a
>client-side problem. Have you tried watching with "top" or
similar tool
>to check which process is eating all the time?

No,
actually I haven't yet.
I have noticed that during the time the query
executes there is neither so much CPU load nor network (communication
with db) load. The client seems to hang, then after a minute or so the
query returns data.
I also thought this problem could be related to db
encoding but changing it didn't help at all.
If it's a client-related
problem, I can't understand why such different clients behave the same
way

Regards

Massimo