Re: memory allocation ; postgresql-8.0

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: "Kavan, Dan (IMS)" <KavanD(at)imsweb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: memory allocation ; postgresql-8.0
Date: 2005-05-12 19:07:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 12:46, Kavan, Dan (IMS) wrote:
> Do psql calls/procedures access resources reserved from the
> kernel.shmmax?

Only in the sense that it can execute a query, which in the backend
could therefore use shared memory. psql, itself, doesn't use shared
memory.

> How about the tar or copy sysadmin commands? I would guess they don't
> use kernel.shmmax resources.

Correct. Actually, very few types of programs use shared memory.

> Finally, work memory alos does not access
> resources reserved from kernel.shmmax, correct?

Correct. The only parts of postgresql.conf that affect shared memory
usage are max connections, shared buffers, and the fsm.