Re: Help desperately needed: reoccurring invalid page

From: Ian Westmacott <ianw(at)intellivid(dot)com>
To: Mauri Sahlberg <Mauri(dot)Sahlberg(at)claymountain(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, peikko(at)claymountain(dot)com, PoRRo <theporro(at)saunalahti(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: Help desperately needed: reoccurring invalid page
Date: 2005-04-28 12:58:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Mauri, I'm no expert but I can tell you what I know. We
have experienced this same problem, and I asked a
similar question not too long ago.

- This is probably due to some sort of I/O problem. In
our case, it occurs very frequently on reboots, and
it appears to be related to dirty buffers not being
flushed out when the partition is unmounted. Look
into a newer kernel, and/or newer/different
filesystem (we have seen this in various flavors
of the 2.4.6 kernel with XFS, JFS and EXT3).

- If you have invalid page headers, you should take a
look at the run-time parameter zero_damaged_pages.
You can use this to fix up a table (losing the data
on the bad pages).

- We have not found a way around the missing log file
problem. This appears to end up locking some rows
forever.

Others on this list may be able to tell you about tools
for examining/fixing corrupt tables and log files.

--Ian