Re: connectivity to database been an issue for me.

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Joel Fradkin <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Cc: 'Morus Walter' <morus(dot)walter(at)tanto(dot)de>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connectivity to database been an issue for me.
Date: 2005-03-31 15:29:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 08:00, Joel Fradkin wrote:
> Well the issue seems to occur for any traffic not limited to any one
> machine.
>
> Pinging Yahoo for instance the ping is timing out when the line gets full
> load.
> I spoke to Verizon and they admitted they sold more bandwidth then the hard
> wires in the area support.
>
> I am going to see if we can slow down the traffic at the fire wall, but also
> plan on getting a 2mb breakfree wireless account as it is just 100.00 a
> month and much better connectivity.
>
> My real question was if it would be better to get a T1 to the data center or
> if going over the internet was ok if I get the expanded bandwidth; based on
> real world experience doing a similar thing. I hate to recommend an
> expensive solution just to end up with the same issues. I tried loading the
> line with various types of communication to different machines, so it is not
> a postgres issue at all (sorry for voicing the question in a pg forum, but I
> figured you guys deal with a bit of the networking as well).
>
> Unfortunatley the T1 is a bit expensive (T1>500.00 a month).

My recommendation is to make Verizon fix the problem with the DSL. It
should work, period. Assuming the problem is NOT in your configuration,
but in theirs, this is their problem, and until they fix it, they should
not be paid. I'd tell them to fix it and call you when they're done.

I had a machine on DSL in Colorado for about 6 years, and for the first
6 months USWest (now qwest) had constant routing issues pop up. I just
picked up the phone about once a week and stayed on the 1-800 line for
an hour at a time while they fixed it. Eventually, things settled down
and it was a rock solid stable connection for most of the rest of that
time.

You shouldn't have to pay $500.00 a month just to get a working
connection.