Re: dump & create with a cron job

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jack Miller <jgm(at)miller-group(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dump & create with a cron job
Date: 2005-03-22 19:17:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jack Miller <jgm(at)miller-group(dot)net> writes:
> The problem is.... if someone is on our web demo at the time that the
> cron job goes off, it does not "dump" the database, it only "adds" the
> data to the database as the existing one.

Evidently you are neglecting to check for failure of the dropdb step.
Perhaps something like

while ! dropdb active_demo; do
sleep 10
done
createdb active_demo
/usr/bin/psql active_demo < demo_model.sql > /dev/null

This kinda begs the whole question of interlocking though; won't people
see funny behavior when you do this?