Postgres crashed on invalid IP entry in pg_hba.conf

From: pkalva(at)deg(dot)cc
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres crashed on invalid IP entry in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2005-02-16 18:36:26
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-bugs

Hi Everybody,

Yesterday, our production database was crashed as soon as we added an invlid
entry in the pg_hba.conf file. Immediately, after the SIGHUP it tried to read
the pg_hba.conf file and it couldnt validate the IP address and restarted the
postgres server, as soon as we change the pg_hba.conf with the right entry
everything was back to normal. Attached you will see the postgres log file at
the time of the crash. Postgres version we are using is 7.4.2. Is this somekind
of bug ? if so, is it fixed in Postgres 8 ? shouldnt it just give an error
saying invalid IP address instead of restarting postgres ?

Thanks!
Pallav