Reading across databases

From: Steve Tucknott <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: PostGreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Reading across databases
Date: 2004-12-17 07:48:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Postgresql 7.4.5 (pgaccess and psql) RedHat 8

Is there a way of 'cross accessing' databases?
We tend to use three environments for development - a dev_ , test_ and
rel_ prefixed database then exists - one for each environment. There are
occasions when it is very useful to be able to, say, load the test_
database with some data that has already been created in the dev_
database. I was hoping that a command such as:

INSERT INTO test_agents:someTable
SELECT *
FROM dev_agents:someTable

OR simply
SELECT blah FROM databaseName:tableName.....

Is such a feature available?

Regards,

Steve Tucknott

ReTSol Ltd