Re: SQL Conformance introductory section

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL Conformance introductory section
Date: 2004-11-23 23:39:57
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 23:15, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I've re-written the start of the SQL Conformance section to update
> > things for the SQL2003 standard.
>
> This has got to be a mistake:
>
> Overall, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
> (<acronym>PGDG</acronym>) supports open standards, particularly the
> SQL standard.
>
> By what norm is the SQL standard an "open standard"?

No mistake, but I note your disagreement. I'm not thrilled by the way
the latest SQL standard was put together, but it draws much respect from
others - so I take note.

A statement from the core team on standards support would, IMHO, be a
useful addition to that chapter.

Troels and I are re-writing that whole chapter together now and will
submit when it is coherent and accurate. Troels has done much more work
on this than I. It's probably worth waiting now and reviewing the
completed whole.

My efforts are the result of a commitment to update the docs to match
the latest standard, not because I love the exactness of it. With
respect, the meaning of the word open isn't something I would get
involved with.

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs