Re: product feature sets

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: David(dot)Bear(at)asu(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: product feature sets
Date: 2004-11-17 23:34:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 22:56, David Bear wrote:
> This may sound like an impossible thing to ask because it may seem
> like an apples to oranges questions. If there were a book entitled
> "Using Postgresql with MS Access" I would suspect answers there.
>
> Still I'm going to draw upon the collective experience of this list.
>
> 1) are there any comparisons done between the relational features of
> ms-access vs postgresql? Things like, does access enforce referential
> integrity... triggers... transactions... etc.

There is no need. Microsoft themselves explain how Access is not
suitable for use in business critical activities. PostgreSQL is
comparable with SQLServer, and clearly ahead of Access DB.

> 2) Since Access has the upsize tool that helps converting data to an
> ms-sql server, has anyone made a similar tool that helps with access?
> I have received from this group an email with some script in it that
> helps with table migration but I haven't had a chance to really
> understand what it does --

The upsize tool is a myth. SQLServer DBAs do not accept it, nor will
they accept the poor designs of Access databases. Replicating something
that exists only for marketing perceptions is not something that you'll
find people spending their time on.

This is the reason Access now provides "project files" that allow an
Access application to work against a SQLServer database.

The "Access problem" is one big reason PostgreSQL is well supported, and
will continue to be so. Microsoft are responding by making SQL Server
2005 free for use on one CPU... as if that helps.

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs