Re: [HACKERS] Some download statistics

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Some download statistics
Date: 2005-02-24 19:19:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Hi Magnus,

On Feb 24, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> I did some simple pivoting in Excel and split it into categories win32,
> source, sig (MD5 or PGP signatures), RPMs, split (the split tarballs),
> pgadmin and ODBC. Other stuff was so little that I cut it.

Assuming this is from a HTTP log, I'm just curious if you took into
account that many Windows users have "download managers" that make
repeated requests to get a single file. You see this in the log with a
206 (partial content) HTTP response code. So you might have anywhere
from 10 to 20 hits in the log to download a single file. This makes it
a pain to get accurate download statistics.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL