Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL.org Design Proposal

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
Cc: Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, emily(at)tinysofa(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL.org Design Proposal
Date: 2004-10-27 20:14:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 16:43, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> I love it, it's very well done, professional, and fresh.

Yes, well done. Definitely professional and fresh.

Omar and Emily, thank you.

A few questions:
- what is the page weight with all those graphics?
- what does it look like for people with graphics turned off? Do we need
all three elephants?
- with regard to design, we should aim for the largest selection of
people - which means unfortunately lowest common denominator:
=800x600
=assume slow modem
Many new users will not have broadband or even local mirrors.

Also, could we solicit some international opinion on whether the icons
are understood?

...and last, when did we start having a "Support" link off the homepage?
Where does it go?

> Omar Kilani wrote:
>
> > We would like to propose the following design as the basis for a new
> > postgresql.org.
> >
> > http://treehou.se/~emily/postgresql_design_proposal.png
> >
> > We are submitting this proposal as we, and many other users and
> > developers, feel that the current site portrays PostgreSQL in a less
> > than flattering light.
> >
> > Whilst the beta concept design is a great improvement upon the
> > existing site, we believe that our design proposal conveys a
> > professional image and portrays PostgreSQL as distinct amongst open
> > source projects that use a similar look and feel to the beta site.

Agreed, well done.

> > We are willing to move forward with the design of the rest of the site
> > if there is some interest in our proposal. We estimate that full
> > migration and consolidation of current content and sites would take
> > approximately one month, if not less, using a content management
> > system to ease administration and maintenance. The main site can be
> > finished in line with the release of PostgreSQL 8, which I understand
> > is a couple of weeks away.

(I take it that is a PostgreSQL-based CMS???)

Doing this for PostgreSQL 8.0 full release is worthwhile, sufficient to
slip the release by a week if need be. No point in generating publicity
if it doesn't tie in with the materials being ready.

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs