Re: alter table rename

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Philip Rhoades <phil(at)pricom(dot)com(dot)au>, sydpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alter table rename
Date: 2004-10-27 01:57:55
Lists: sydpug

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 11:42, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> > I presume it is OK to ask these questions here?

It's fine, although you might get more response from a wider audience
such as pgsql-general.

> You can use ALTER TABLE <index/sequence name> RENAME TO <new name> in 7.4.

Note that this doesn't change the serial column's default value though.

BTW, in 8.0 you can change a column type's via ALTER TABLE so you don't
need this hackery.

> No one has done ALTER SEQUENCE though.

Yeah, we ought to do that -- we already have an ALTER SEQUENCE, it just
doesn't do RENAME.

-Neil