Re: mailing list offer

From: John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2004-10-19 03:11:35
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 11:28, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Now that CMD is hosting the archives I thought that I would offer some
> more resources. I would be willing to purchase a dedicated machine to
> host the mailing lists at our location. We would use this machine for
> the archives and lists both.
>
> As we already relay a great deal of the archive traffic through two of
> our machines I do not see our bandwidth (3 DS3s) as being an issue. In
> terms of reliability the machine would also be placed on a natural gas
> fired generator and of course the network is switched and firewalled.
>
> I would also be willing to dedicate some resources to some other
> projects that people have brought up, including direct integration of
> the mail archives and lists into PostgreSQL.

I can't see anything that would stop you from doing this now...
Marc should be able to provide you with the old mbox archives, and
following them, simply subscribe to all of the lists, and you have
yourself an up to date archive.

I had the forums going, and have been playing with getting the archives
integrated, but the importer is way too buggy, and needs a lot of work
before they can be brought to life.

A fully integrated solution would be sweet. One that combines the
features of the archives, the search engine, and the lists themselves.

You should be aware tho, that iirc the current tally is closing in on
300.000 emails. Does anyone have any installations with that much data
indexed by tsearch2, who would be able to give us some indicative
reports on query time?

Mnogosearch was scrapped due to it's speed (or lack thereof), and iirc,
tsearch2 closely resembles the same type of mechanism for full text
searches. Just something to think about.

Btw, With regards to the forums, I imagine they'll come back over the
weekend...

> What are the thoughts on this?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake