Re: Concurrency problem

From: Dag Gullberg <dag(dot)gullberg(at)telia(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concurrency problem
Date: 2004-10-04 11:35:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Tom,

Yes, I have several clients connecting to the db, using the same
username, doing the same things, pretty much.

Please educate me:
When a table is accessed, is there an entry that is updated in
pg_catalog.pg_tables (or somewhere else) in such a fashion that the MVCC
cannot handle it and that consecutive selects from other clients will
cause concurrency errors? Are these entries not "locked" while accessed?

What's more in your response is very clear and it is amazing how easy it
is to slip into singel user reasoning, if not careful, when writing
code for a multi user environment. Its a blunder, pure and simple. I
stand corrected (and wiser). Thanks!

/Dag

(apologies for sending this to you private address first)