Re: 8.0 beta 1 on linux-mipsel R5900

From: Chris Mair <list(at)1006(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0 beta 1 on linux-mipsel R5900
Date: 2004-08-30 19:38:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I've compiled 8.0 beta 1 on a R5900 V3.1 (a playstation 2) running
> > Linux (PS2 Linux 1) for portability testing.
> > I'm wondering: would it be hard to fix the assembly spinlock code
> > for the R5900?
>
> According to the previous port report from Red Hat, the PS2 chip simply
> doesn't have any user-space TAS instruction, so you're pretty much stuck.
> If you can find something that works, let us know.

I've asked about this issue on the ps2 linux forums and somebody
came up with this document:
http://lc.linux.or.jp/lc2001/papers/tas-ps2-paper.pdf

See also this releated thread on the linux-mips list:
http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2002-01/msg00278.html

I'm not fluent in Japanese or MIPS assembly, so I won't comment
on these. Just posting the links :)

Bye, Chris.