Re: docs: config chapter

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: docs: config chapter
Date: 2005-09-12 00:19:58
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Moreover, I don't agree with the premise. Could you point to the
>> discussion?

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-docs/2004-11/msg00029.php

As far as I could tell by eyeball, you are simply moving the section out
to be a separate chapter and a separate file, without changing any text?

This was agreed to in the above thread (or at least no one objected),
but I thought we'd also agreed to provide some sort of alphabetical list
of the config parameters, perhaps similar to the table at the front of
the "System Catalogs" chapter. I don't agree with some of the more
radical suggestions in that thread, such as
one-page-per-config-variable, but the alpha index seemed to meet with
everyone's approval.