Re: Cursor Error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: "PostgreSQL" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cursor Error
Date: 2008-07-31 16:50:50
Lists: pgsql-general

"Bob Pawley" <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca> writes:
> Right.
> This is the cursor statement.

> Open procgraphic for select p_id.p_id.process_id from p_id.p_id,
> processes_count
> where p_id.p_id.p_id_id = processes_count.p_id_id;

Sorry, we're not bright enough to handle WHERE CURRENT OF on a join
--- per the fine manual,

The cursor must be a simple (non-join, non-aggregate) query on
the UPDATE's target table.

I don't recall offhand whether there's some deep technical reason
for the restriction against joins, or we just didn't get around to
it. In any case, you'll need to change the cursor to return the
table's primary key and use that to target the UPDATE.