Re: Quick question regarding tablespaces

From: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>
To: "Gavin Sherry" <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Mike Rylander" <miker(at)purplefrog(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Quick question regarding tablespaces
Date: 2004-07-02 01:26:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 18:54, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Mike Rylander wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 01 July 2004 06:43 pm, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> > > Hi Mike,
> > >
> > > In this release, unfortunately not.
> >
> > That't too bad, but it's not that urgent I suppose.
> >

> > > I had some idea early on of putting rand_page_cost in pg_tablespace and
> > > having the planner have access to it for costing. I didn't actually get
> > > around to it but. :-(
> >
> > Well, I haven't looked at the PG source before, but if you have some specific
> > design ideas I would be glad to help out. I'm just not sure where (or when,
> > with the official release coming (sort of) soon) to start, but with some
> > pointers I'll do what I can!
>
> Well, it wont be in 7.5. Feel free to start looking at how
> random_page_cost in cost_index(). It might be worthwhile introducing a per
> tablespace performance factor so that we could could say that the cost of
> fetching an index tuple from tablespace A is half that of fetching an
> index tuple from tablespace B. That idea might not actually turn out to be
> a very good one once I look at it closely though.

How about having a per cluster / database / tablespace / table type
setup that goes in a hierarchy, if they're there. I.e. if the database
doesn't have it's own random_page_cost, it inherits from cluster, if a
tablespace doesn't have one, it inherits from cluster->database, and so
on to individual tables / indexes. It may be that it's easier to
implement for them all now while doing it for tablespaces. Just
wondering. I'm a user, not a hacker, so I have no idea how much that
idea makes any sense, but I would certainly love to be able to set an
index to have a random_page_cost effect of 1.1 while the table it lives
in is 1.3, the tablespace 1.4, and so on. But not required, because it
always inherits from the parent if it doesn't have one, like stats
target.