Re: dbExperts or PowerGres

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Francois Suter <dba(at)paragraf(dot)ch>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dbExperts or PowerGres
Date: 2004-06-29 14:02:44
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 04:55, Francois Suter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I received a question from someone who was looking for a Windows
> version of PostgreSQL and couldn't wait for 7.5.
>
> Now this person was wondering which was better between PowerGres and
> dbExperts. Personally I have no clue. I am just a bit nervous about
> dbExperts, because they pretend that " In fact, dbExperts has developed
> the first and only commercial version of PostgreSQL for Windows
> (95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP).", which seems wrong, because there's PowerGres
> too.
>
> Any advice?

I guess my first bit of advice is to ask the respective companies that
question and see what answers they give you. Make sure to point out
you'd like to see some tpc style benchmarks if they have them.

That said I would suspect that powergres would outperform the dbExperts
solution since it is both native windows (iirc dbExperts is cygwin
based) and on top of that it is threaded, which should be a bonus for
win32.

Another aspect is to see which version of postgresql each is based on.
iirc dbExperts is 7.2 based, and powergres is 7.3 based. Keep in mind
also that both of these products are forks of the core project, so it is
up to each company to maintain their fork. SRA has the advantage of
having more developer resources to throw at it, OTOH their version is
more of a departure from the core project as well, so they will need
those resources.

Oh, one last thing, make sure you check up on both licenses to make sure
that the pricing and restrictions involved are still workable for your
situation.

Robert Treat