Re: xeon processors

From: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>
To: "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: xeon processors
Date: 2004-06-27 01:31:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 14:13, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone tell me if postgresql has problems with xeon processors?
> If so, there is any fix or project of fix it?

To PostgreSQL, there's no difference between a dual CPU machine with no
hyperthreading, and a single CPU machine with hyperthreading.

HOWEVER, there have been some issues with certain Operating Systems
running slower with hyperthreading enabled than without it. Late model
Linux kernels (2.6) seem to have gotten enough logic into the scheduler
to get good performance on a hyperthreaded system.