Re: Need indexes on inherited tables?

From: Franco Bruno Borghesi <franco(at)akyasociados(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: Phil Endecott <spam_from_postgresql_sql(at)chezphil(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need indexes on inherited tables?
Date: 2004-06-26 21:06:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

Table T is not inheriting any indexes, neither the primary key
constraint. That means that the search is going to use an index scan on
table B and a sequential scan on table T (unless of course you add a
primary key constraint or an index on table T).

You can check this things doing:
->SET enable_seqscan TO off;
->EXPLAIN SELECT * FROM B WHERE id=5;
you'll see an index scan on table B and sequential scans on the other
tables.

Doing:
->SELECT C.relname AS table_name, C2.relname AS index_name FROM pg_index
I LEFT JOIN pg_class C ON (I.indrelid=C.oid) LEFT JOIN pg_class C2 ON
(C2.oid=I.indexrelid) WHERE C.relname ILIKE '<table_name>'

you can find out what indexes are available for table_name (or \d
<table_name> in psql).