Re: BLOBs and a virtual file system

From: Peter Martini <peterm(at)processflo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BLOBs and a virtual file system
Date: 2004-06-23 19:07:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm not sure what you mean by breaking blobs transactional integrity.
Do you mean by allowing filesystem type access, the blobs won't be
properly locked and updated during a transaction? If so, that's exactly
what I'm trying to achieve - a compromise between forcing the files to
be stored solely in the database (maintaining integrity but sacrificing
functionality) or referencing their names to gain functionality, but at
a greater cost.
More to the point, wouldn't file locking mechanisms, and the possibility
of limiting file visibility through the virtual filesystem, allow
transactional integrity to be maintained? If not, could you explain
where the problem is so I can look further into it?

Thanks,
Peter