Re: How do handle concurrent DML operations

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: kenchen077 <kenchen077(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How do handle concurrent DML operations
Date: 2004-04-20 16:50:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

the driver isn't automagically going to update your records if someone
changes them in the db while you have the result set loaded in your
program.

You need to do one of two things, either use pessimistic locking, ie
select for update, and lock the row, or use optimistic locking and
timestamp the updates so that when you commit your changes then you will
see that the timestamp in your local record is different than the
timestamp in the database and realize your data is stale.

There is another way, but it is not ready yet, we are working on pl/j
which is a java procedural language that would allow you to do the magic
above. ie create a java procedure that you called on a trigger which
would update your local copy of the data if someone else were to change
it

If you are interested and brave, have a look at plj.codehaus.org for the
pl/j code, but beware this is alpha quality code.

Dave

--
Dave Cramer
519 939 0336