Re: BUG #1232: Singapore Timezone missing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John R Pierce" <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: "\"PostgreSQL Bugs List\"" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1232: Singapore Timezone missing
Date: 2004-08-26 01:43:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"John R Pierce" <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> writes:
> so all of china uses CST, which is *NOT* CST as we know it here in North
> America ;-/

Yeah, it's going to be difficult to do much about this stuff with the
current approach of a hardwired table of zone names. There are other
unresolved conflicts (IST is one I think). The Aussies got special
dispensation (cf australian_timezones) mainly because we have several
contributors down there who were annoyed enough to code a solution.
But that approach doesn't scale. I think what we really have to do is
remove the zone name entries from the hardwired table and instead load
them from a config file. Then it would be easy for people to set up
just the names they wanted to use. This won't happen for 8.0 but maybe
in 8.1, if anyone steps up to the plate and does it.