Adding flexibilty to queries

From: Alan Carbutt <arcarbut(at)adams(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Adding flexibilty to queries
Date: 2004-03-24 23:20:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I have a question regarding psql. As I am more familiar with oracle I
can write the following select and make it rather flexible:
select name
from name_table
where person_id = &id;
The &id portion is what I am looking for in PostgreSQL. Basically when
running this query, the person running the query is prompted to supply a
value. What is the equivalent in postgres?

TIA,
--
Alan Carbutt
Systems Administrator/Programmer