Re: Update on 'portal' changes

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update on 'portal' changes
Date: 2004-03-09 15:04:33
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 09:32, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Robert Treat wrote:
> >>I would say +1. He might not be very diplomatic, but if he can save
> >>you/the web team some valuable time, why not ?
> >

> > I guess we're still trying to decide if he can save us valuable time :-)
>
> Ahem. I'd learn that my work is not needed *now* rather than later, when
> I've spent more time on it...

No, the work is needed now, and quite frankly I have more faith that
you'll get it done than I do that we will, at least anytime soon. It's
just that we keep going round and round on the whole "working together"
thing... a similar issue came up on interfaces, with libtcl. A new guy
had a bunch of patches he wanted to submit but the project maintainers
had been idle for awhile, so he wanted to take over the project. The
admins stated they wanted to stay on, so he forked the project... all
bad imho. ISTM that when your new to a project, you should assume that
you don't know as much as folks that are currently running things. If
you want to take over things, the way to do it is by putting in enough
effort to show your serious, killing people with kindness, and by
submitting enough patches that the developers decide it's too much
hassle to stand in your way. At least that's how I have tried to
approach things...

Robert Treat