Re: [HACKERS] Tablespaces

From: "Lawrence E(dot) Smithmier, Jr(dot)" <Larry(at)Smithmier(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>, jearl(at)bullysports(dot)com, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <zeugswettera(at)spardat(dot)at>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Tablespaces
Date: 2004-03-05 17:41:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>:
> Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:
> > My idea for platforms that don't support symlinks would be to simply
> create
> > a tblspaceoid directory inplace instead of the symlink (maybe throw a
> warning).
> > My feeling is, that using the same syntax on such platforms is important,
> > but actual distribution is not (since they will most likely be small
> systems).
>
> Nice idea --- so you can create tablespaces, but can't specify a
> different location for it --- makes sense.

If this is the way it is handled then I don't guess I have any objections. You
would end up with the files for a single database spread out, possibly over
multiple disks. I think I would still prefer the option of using an XML file to
this, but I can also see the need to limit the platform specific code. I guess
if I feel strongly enough about it, through the magic of Open Source I can patch
it to work the way I want. If the way Junctions work on NTFS becomes an issue
after the port, it won't be a problem, it will be an opportunity.

Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>:
> The use of symlinks on Unix has just too many advantages to use a
> another sub-optimal solution on that platform.

And creating separate solutions for different platforms has too many
disadvantages to warrent a compile time option. Ok, implement this and move on
to porting so that I can use it in the world I work in. :-)

Seriously, thanks for doing all you guys do. I will be activly evangelizing as
soon as I can get a version working standalone where I am.

Lawrence E. Smithmier, Jr.
MCP, MCAD
(919) 522-9738
Larry(at)Smithmier(dot)com