Re: BUG #2357: docs for mod() are wrong

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Philip Crotwell" <crotwell(at)seis(dot)sc(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2357: docs for mod() are wrong
Date: 2006-03-24 21:39:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Philip Crotwell" <crotwell(at)seis(dot)sc(dot)edu> writes:
> It would be nice if mod could directly take a double,

Given the inherent approximate nature of float arithmetic, I'm not sure
this makes a lot of sense. How often do you really do modulo on floats?

> but if not the docs
> should say that the arguments should be NUMERIC

That would be incorrect. We have it for all the exact numeric types.

regression=# \df mod
List of functions
Schema | Name | Result data type | Argument data types
pg_catalog | mod | bigint | bigint, bigint
pg_catalog | mod | integer | integer, integer
pg_catalog | mod | integer | integer, smallint
pg_catalog | mod | integer | smallint, integer
pg_catalog | mod | numeric | numeric, numeric
pg_catalog | mod | smallint | smallint, smallint
(6 rows)

I don't see an easy way to cram that statement into the small amount of
space available in the table though :-(