Re: attempt on website changes

From: "Keith C(dot) Perry" <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com, Sai Hertz And Control Systems <sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
Cc: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: attempt on website changes
Date: 2004-01-13 16:29:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Quoting Sai Hertz And Control Systems <sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>:

> Dear Alexey Borzov
>

> > I tried subscribing to pgsql-www and now am waiting for the approval.
> > Judging by the speed at which the website is
>
> I am also waiting for the approval
>
> > The result is available here:
> > http://oc.cs.msu.su/stuff/PostgreSQL.html
>
> Good now one can read the navigation bar in big letters
> How about a DHTML code for the menu with a drop down effect this way
> we would be able to add more in less space
> I am working on the dropdown menu and mail to this list very soon hope
> you will like it.
>
> Regards,
> Vishal Kashyap

FWIW...

The font is bigger but I don't think that is the problem- its the color choices.
White on that light blue is just not very readable. I would say a darker blue
is needed or perhaps the text should be black. Just look at how the graphic
with "PostgreSQL" stands on with that text being dark blue on that light blue.

Also, based on a number of thread on general in the past, it seems like
everything in the box that said websites gets missed or over looked (gborg,
techdocs, etc). Is that something that could be moved to the top as a bar going
across? The reason I say that is because 1) people don't like to scroll. 2)
most of us read left to right so that psychology weights the left side text more
than the right side. Another way to put that is to say that generally major
menus are going to be on the right. 3) Describing the links before the person
is actually on the page allows the person to make a decision about whether they
want to click there or not. I submit that those links are major so ideally we
want people at least view all the major links and start reading *after* they are
on that page (or site as the case is with techdocs and gborg).

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

This email account is being host by: