Re: 2003 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award

From: "Keith C(dot) Perry" <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com, Sai Hertz And Control Systems <sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2003 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award
Date: 2004-01-12 19:26:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Quoting Sai Hertz And Control Systems <sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>:

> Dear Robert Treat ,
>
> >http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040112/nym120_1.html
> >

> This must ring alarm bells and we must look into the matter as what is
> making postgresql adoption such a slow process insted of
> its very good features.
> Regards,
> Vishal Kashyap

Alot of recent threads have ultimately suggested that one of problems with
deployement is centered around our web site, so, as we work out the issues there
hopefully people will come back. Firebird is much more of a concern now to me
because at least with MySQL there are some things that would "force" you to look
for another solution. I learned about Firebird (the database) in the last
couple of months from everyone here and I thought, "that sounds like a decent
database". I would not have thought it would outplace PG. However that means
that now- actually, not *now* but for some time, PG has not the clear
alternative. Of it would be a mistake to design our marketing solely around
being the anti-MySql, anti-Oracle. anti-MS-SQL, etc...

Does anyone know if there is an action plan or roadmap with milestone for
advocacy goals? If we don't have that, perhaps we should spend this quarter
identifying what those need might be and then put them out to the community for
people to step up to the plate to lead and project or assist.

The milestones from these efforts then become material for press releases
throughout the year. On going news is one way to keep our "face" fresh...

I must say tho- I am very happy Slackware placed 1st :)

(sorry couldn't resist)

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications