Re: Help tracking down problem with inserts slowing

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help tracking down problem with inserts slowing
Date: 2003-12-07 17:28:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 16:38, Neil Conway wrote:

> (1) Can you confirm that the VACUUM FULL on site B actually
> removed all the tuples you intended it to remove? Concurrent
> transactions can limit the amount of data that VACUUM FULL is
> able to reclaim. If you run contrib/pgstattuple (or compare
> the database's disk consumption with the number of live rows
> in it), you should be able to tell.

Hmmm, I installed 7.2.3 from RPMs, but the contrib package seems
to be missing the pgstattuple library code. (According to the
readme, I should do:

$ make
$ make install
$ psql -e -f /usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib/pgstattuple.sql test

but the first two lines don't make sense with the binary rpm
distribution and trying the last line as (for my world):

->psql -e -f /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/pgstattuple.sql
farm.devel.configdb

yields:

DROP FUNCTION pgstattuple(NAME);
psql:/usr/share/pgsql/contrib/pgstattuple.sql:1: ERROR:
RemoveFunction: function 'pgstattuple(name)' does not exist
CREATE FUNCTION pgstattuple(NAME) RETURNS FLOAT8
AS '$libdir/pgstattuple', 'pgstattuple'
LANGUAGE 'c' WITH (isstrict);
psql:/usr/share/pgsql/contrib/pgstattuple.sql:4: ERROR: stat failed
on file '$libdir/pgstattuple': No such file or directory

I don't need this right now (a reindex seems to have fixed
our problem for now...), but it sounds like it would be useful
in the future.

Thanks!
Steve
--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu