Re: Postgresql-server w/NetBSD 1.6.1 on a Cobalt Qube2

From: Wayne Ringling <wayne(at)tbnets(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql-server w/NetBSD 1.6.1 on a Cobalt Qube2
Date: 2003-11-08 17:10:38
Lists: pgsql-ports

> > IpcSemaphoreCreate(key=4, num=17, 03600) I have scanned google and
> > every site that was anywhere relevant but cant find an answer to get
>
> We need to know the full error message and the version of PostgreSQL that
> you are using.

System is a NetBSD 1.6.1 from the qube2 restore cd available in the
port-cobalt section of NetBSD

PostgreSQL version is (I downloaded the ports file from NetBSD and
installed from there. make && make install && make clean)

postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz

Here is the output from the initdb command.
# ./pgsql initdb
Initializing PostgreSQL databases.
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"pgsql".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/pkg/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/pkg/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/pkg/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/pkg/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/pkg/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/pkg/pgsql/data/base/1...
IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=4, num=17, 03600) failed: No space left
on device

This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.

It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of
semaphore sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of
semaphores (SEMMNS), would be exceeded. You need to raise the
respective kernel parameter. Alternatively, reduce PostgreSQL's
consumption of semaphores by reducing its max_connections parameter
(currently 1).

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
configuring your system for PostgreSQL.

initdb failed.
Removing /usr/pkg/pgsql/data.
#
Here is my kernel cfg after I compiled a new kernel and rebooted.

options SYSVMSG # System V message queues
options SYSVSEM # System V semaphores
options SEMMNI=512 # number of semaphore identifiers
options SEMMNS=1024 # number of semaphores in system
#options SEMUME=40 # max number of undo entries per process
options SEMMNU=512 # number of undo structures in system
options SEMMSL=256
options SEMOPM=256
options SEMMAP=512
options SYSVSHM # System V shared memory
options SHMMAXPGS=4096 # 1024 pages is the default
options SHMMAX="(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)"
options SHMMIN=2
options SHMSEG=256

I followed these directions to recompile the kernel

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2003/09/04/0000.html

Could this be caused by not launching the script from bash? Since the
shell on the system is csh & sh?

Thanks again for looking at this.