Re: JDBC project / CVS moving to GBorg ...

From: Dave Cramer <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
To: Erik Price <eprice(at)ptc(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC project / CVS moving to GBorg ...
Date: 2003-06-25 12:58:49
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

sf.net is generally considered to be a PITA, most folks have moved away
from it.

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 08:43, Erik Price wrote:
> Dave Cramer wrote:
> > What does everyone think about this?
> >
> > If it has to move, there are other options besides gborg.
> >
> > codehaus.org is one, they have all the tools installed already to build
> > the driver, and the exposure there may be beneficial.
>
> I'm not familiar with either of those, but as long as the move doesn't
> inhibit JDBC development (and I can't imagine that it would), I wouldn't
> be concerned either way. I'm curious why SF.net is not an option,
> simply because that is where I've noticed most open source projects are
> stored. And if exposure is a factor, what about java.net? (I didn't
> realize there were any other Postgres JDBC drivers.)
gborg is postgres's version of sf.net
codehaus.org is a relatively new site devoted primarily to java
development.

> > The opportunity to goto a Maven build exists there too. This is one step
> > better than ant.
>
> I understand the benefits of Maven but are a lot of people using it?
yes, at least most people I know. Either way it doesn't matter, most
maven projects keep the ant build file around for ant as well.

> > Please feel free to express your opinions on this matter, good or bad.
> > This will likely happen in the next 2 weeks regardless.
>
> I am not using a CVS build, so my opinion should be taken with a grain
> of salt, but presumably any changes that affect the CVS build will
> eventually affect us binary users.

Everyone's opinion matters.

Thanks,

Dave

> Erik

Dave Cramer <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>